Tabs for Blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

Fans will be saying good-bye to another veteran

After 13-years portraying snarky Elizabeth Webber, Rebecca Herbst was fired by General Hospital.

News of Becky's firing sent fans spiraling on several soap opera message boards and Twitter.

I for one did not and still do not understand some of the comments - especially the ones that state Becky was the show's best actress and GH will now be cancelled because she was fired. I'll get back to that later though.

There had been rumors dating back to the "Summer of Sleaze" that Becky was on thin ropes with the powers that be, but gave her another shot by pairing her with Steve Burton's Jason Morgan as the other half of Liason.

There was plenty of backlash during that time from Samantha McCall (Kelly Monaco) fans who at the time was paired with Burton as JaSam. Monaco/McCall fans were outraged at the way the character was being portrayed. As if Sam would actually allow a child, even Liz's, to be kidnapped by a deranged-psycho woman. There were fanbase wars between Liason and JaSam fans calling the pairs Liarson and JaScam among other things and viewers were acting as if Liz and Sam were their family members. It got crazy, BSC to be exact.

Then TPTB decided to put JaSam back together and pair Liz with Lucky Spencer, the man she shared "super couple" status with. Unfortunately, the LnL2 reunion was marred by Liz's affair with Lucky's half-brother Nikolas Cassadine. While I enjoyed Lik/Niz some fans were outraged that Liz would cheat on then fiance Lucky. To make matters worse, Greg Vaughan had been fired as Lucky and replaced by the character's originator Jonathan Jackson, whom most felt Becky had the best chemistry with.

Unfortunately, with chemistry subjective to each and every viewer, writer, producer, actor, etc... LnL2 and Lik/Niz were not hitting the audiences as much as they were perceived to be and the writing was put on the wall. Liz suffered a mental breakdown and watched all the men in her life - Lucky, Nik and Jason- move on with other women; well in Jason's case he got back together with his "soulmate" Sam.

Then the news broke about Becky's firing. While it's understandable that Becky/Liz fans were outraged- this fan of GH couldn't be happier.

While some spouted that Becky was/is the best actress on GH, I find her to be the worst. After 13-years of playing one character, Becky has not improved her range as an actress. The best she can do is snark and give a good "bitch please" face and even that face is bested by her own 'son' Cameron. When Liz had to show emotion over her best friend Emily's death the best Becky could muster up was crocodile tears.

The only two times I actually liked or tolerated the character of Liz was when Liz was raped and during her affair with Nik. Both times I enjoyed watching Liz and Becky. Other than that - B-O-R-I-N-G!!

To me, when the writers gave Liz a breakdown storyline, it was a cop out in an attempt to save the character after having yet another affair. As far as I'm concerned if you have an affair or even cheat once, deal with it. Take responsibility for your actions and don't blame others. The writers tried to save Liz by sending her to Shadybrook.


I wish Becky the best of luck, but I can't wait to see the exit the writers give her. There have been rumors that Jake will some how be killed and Liz with leave town with Cam and Aidan. Not that I ever enjoy seeing a storyline revolving around a child's death, I think it will be great material for other characters (Jason, Sam and Lucky) to deal with the aftermath.

Another annoying factor in the firing of Becky is the BSC fans that are actually outraged TPTB would fire a mother of three.

Are you kidding me??? There are everyday Joes and Janes that are being laid off or fired because of the economy. People are losing their homes because they can't make ends meet. I can't feel bad for any entertainer that makes millions of dollars a year and doesn't know how to save- shame on them!

Okay, enough of my rant. To the sane Liz/Becky fans out there, I am sorry for your loss. For the BSCs - don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

6 comments:

  1. You're back! You're back! You're back!!! woohoo!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I love you!.... Thank you for finally giving a non-BSC perspective on the letting go of a veteran actress whom is not EVERY fans favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I am back LOL :) Thank you for reading and posting a comment!

    As far as my non-BSC perspective; I understand that sometimes a character's demise and eventual firing of a veteran actress or actor happens to everyone- and it's happened to my faves as well - it's a business just like everything else and honestly - when the character is put on a pedastal and called a saint by his or her BSC fans it usually makes me hate the character even more. Maybe I'm the BSC one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I share this on a message board, I will most definitely credit you and post a link back to this page?

    It is FANTASTIC and the first blog I have seen since this whole debacle started that wasn't clumping ALL GH fans in with the BSC/Liz/liason ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! I have been growing weary with all the hysterics and drama since it was announced Becky Herbst had been fired, especially because all I could think was, "It's about damn time!"

    The character was useless. The writers had written her into a corner and, honestly, I never felt Becky Herbst had the acting chops to get her out of it. I agree 1000% with what you said. Becky has been on this show 13 years, but she hasn't grown as an actress at all. In fact, for the last year, I've been complaining non-stop that her performances don't seem genuine to me at all. The writing isn't stellar, but it's certainly not helped when the actress doesn't seem to grasp or care about her character's motivation.

    The bottom line is that she's gone now and I'm not sorry she's gone. Furthermore, I'm getting a little irritated that people are acting as if the entire GH fanbase is weeping into their cereal bowls because she was canned. Um...no. This fan is not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you may post my blog on another message board as long as there is the link back to my blob posted with it.

    Thank you for all the great comments and it's great to know I am not the only GH fan that is happy to see this actress and character go!

    ReplyDelete