Tabs for Blog

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Newbies, Newbies, Newbies

There are so many new characters on General Hospital. Some I like and think they have a ton of potential of TPTB don't screw it up and some I've been wondering why on earth did TIIC bring in this person.


I'll start with Siobhan. I love the idea of this character. I find her very interesting. I love her involvement with Lucky. The one thing I can't stand is the gawd awful Irish "accent" she has. OMG it is the worse, fake accent I have ever heard on TV.

I really hope TIIC let her lose the accent somehow, because as much as I love the chemistry between Siobhan and Lucky; it's extremely hard to get past the accent.

I like that Lucky is trying to believe in her despite the women in his life that have lied to him in the past - Liz, Sam and Maxie. Make no mistake about it every woman in Lucky's life - past or present - has lied to him. INCLUDING HIS OWN SISTER!

I would really like to see Lucky actually happy for a change and with someone that truly wants him and ONLY him.

Theo aka the Balkan is one that I could truly do without! While I like when GH gets a real villain - Alcazar, Faith Roscoe, Manny Ruiz, Frank Smith to name a few; the Balkan seems too forced for me to enjoy. Not too mention how can not one person in Port Chuck figure it out?!?!? I mean com'on not everyone in PC is that stupid.

I can't stand to look at him either. I may be shallow; but his head reminds me of a potato and his voice sounds like he constantly has water in his mouth. How can Siobhan, who deals with him as both Theo and the Balkan not recognize the voice? He doesn't change it that much.


I haven't been sold on Shawn yet either. I like his chats with Molly, but what is he really doing on the show? Is he going to end up bedding Carly like some of the spumors state? Will he harm Molly unintentionally or intentionally at the Balkan's request? What about Brenda and Dante? Or Siobhan and Lucky? I just don't know where this character is headed and not sure he's interesting enough for me to even care at this point.

Sometimes TPTB take too long to develop a character and/or tell the story that the character becomes so useless and/or boring. They seem to be dragging out so many stories right now. I feel like Chandler on Friends , "Can we please move on?"

Abby is another character, like Siobhan, that I find very interesting. I like her friendship with Michael and actually find Mabby interesting as a possible couple. Especially now that Michael saved her from Brandon and admitted to her what happened to him in prison. I would love for Sam to get her to quit her job at the strip club and get her to work at McCall and Jackal - TIIC could actually focus on a female friendship for a change. But then again, Brenda has been back for what months and they barely showcase her friendship with Robin - which is completely, utterly disgusting and a slap in the face to most viewers - IMO. Brenda and Robin was one of the strongest female friendships on the show and you'd never know it because of TIIC.


Lastly, there's Terrel. The character COULD be interesting if he wasn't playing Robin for Lisa.

I would actually find the character more interesting if he suddenly realized he had feelings for Robin and not Lisa and truly began to 'chase' Robin.

But the whole, Lisa is the one that got away plot for him just isn't working for me.

Maybe, just maybe, someone on GH, living in PC could actually not have an agenda. Yeah, I know it's wishful thinking, but one can hope can't they.

So what's your take on the newbies? Like some? Like 'em all? Hate some? Hate 'em all? What could change your mind either way?

2 comments:

  1. I actually like Shawn A LOT! hahaha...

    I am the one who championed Chad Duell's portrayal of Michael immediately when he came on to replace Drew. And not too long after, you agreed with me..heeheee...

    I find Shawn to be the most interesting out of the lot of newbies mentioned in your blog. Maybe it's the actor portraying him. There is depth and layers and that mysteriousness of the character being portrayed by the actor that I find intriguing. To me, he's the dark version of Jason. Silent, cold, lethal and yet with glimpses of humanity. He's not all evil, and yet not the epitome of good either. He's the Balkan's enforcer to Jason being Sonny's enforcer. I love the dynamics when they were having that stare down in the law office a few weeks ago.

    I agree about Siobhan. Wish she would lose the accent. I liked her when she first came on, but now she bores me. Her back and forth dialog with Lucky just annoys me and got me tuned out!

    Love Mabby, and I do like Abby except that I sometimes find her 'boring' when she's not in scenes with Michael. She doesn't have the 'spark'. I agree about the friendship with Sam. However, I think I still prefer the friendship between Maxie and Sam more. The scenes at Jakes with Maxie, Sam and Lulu were awesome. Maybe instead of Lulu, Abby can be inserted and we will have a female trio friendship of Abby, Maxie and Sam.

    Terrell I can do without. Don't like him and just can't get interested. I find him annoying.

    Yeah, I am bored with the Balkan already. He's supposed to be this menacing and most evil mobster in Europe, and so far he's not scary at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Shawn is the least annoying so far, but I am going to reserve my opinion until I figure out if he is a bad guy or a good guy.

    Siobhan's accent must go! She doesn't talk that way in real life and she shouldn't on the show either. I can't invest in her relationship with Lucky because I'm always so focused on the accent. "Would you be stealing me 'Lucky' charms?"

    The Balkan-can't wait for this storyline to go! Someone on another blog posted a picture of him next to the muppet Bunson Honeydew, remember him?

    Can't stand Terrell or the storyline he's involved in. No one would say okay I'll seduce this woman so you can get this man on the off-chance I'll get to sleep with you, particularly when sleeping with said woman brings the risk of contracting HIV.I mean seriously, who would do that?

    ReplyDelete